Friday, March 7, 2008

Same Old Same Old

Yesterday I hated my job. What I had forgotten about $7.50 an hour employment is that creativity is not really encouraged. The store was very, very slow. Although I did have an early opportunity to dress one of our strippers in a new outfit for her interview later in the afternoon. I live vicariously through them and it's way better than dressing Barbie Dolls ever was- we'll talk more about the dance industry later....

So the store was slow and I decided to exert some initiative. I decided to re-arrange the entire toy room because when new stock comes in there really isn't a rhyme or reason to how things get displayed. So for HOURS I was committed to creating a toy room that was put together decently and in order.

I put all clitoris stimulating specific toys on the stage left wall, anal specific toys on stage right, which left the center and main wall for all forms of vibrating and non-vibrating dildos. I had the 5 star vibrators with all the bells and whistles on one side of the wall, all pseudo real flesh dildos on the top emphasizing the racial ethnic diversity that we offer, then the enormous and incredibly unrealistic dildos and then all others descending downward based on overall power. I was very proud of my work and could only have been happier if I got to make a spreadsheet for it.

Then my manager came in and immediately entered the toy room with a look and tone of "what the hell are you doing?" I got a long speech about how in her mind there really was rhyme and reason and she took my organization as an offense to her leadership (despite her glaring lack of care for the overall presentation). She never gives a shit about anything other than her smoke breaks. So my hours of work were quickly un-done and my spark of ambition and creativity snuffed out.

I can't say that I am excited about working tonight, Friday night, with my manager until closing. BUT the good news about Fridays is that the strippers all come in last minute and need everything from 7 inch heels to extra-wide thongs with plenty of room for dollar bills. So for today I will focus on my relationships with my customers and be at peace with a disorganized toy room that doesn't need me to save it from it's current state of disarray.

Have a good weekend and thanks for listening!

MM

4 comments:

LittleMary said...

what kind of interviews was she going to? one correlation to the church: creativity not encouraged. also, not so encouraged the whole thing of success which points out someone else's stupidity.

Mary Martha said...

She was going to a stripper interview. She needed a new outfit for her dance routine to look "slammin'" for the club owners.

more cows than people said...

goodness i love your blog.

i just read your spirit of trust post to my husband and he concludes that you're a keeper.

silly manager. sheesh.

perhaps ministry nurtured in you the skills to focus on the people and ignore the bull shit.

i added you to my feeds but it didn't take for some reason. i fixed it today.

Mary Martha said...

Thank you for your kind note and for adding me to your "feeds". I'm still pretty new to this but I promise once I figure out how, I will return the favor!